When coming to the hospital, either for a consultation or a hospitalisation, you will have to register with the admission office.

Proper identification is very important to guarantee your safety. There will be several medical professionals who will be taking care of you at the hospital and they need to ensure you have been identified properly. It is also important, as you might be (depending on your personal situation) partially or totally exempted from paying the costs (which could be covered by Social Services).

On your admission day, you will have to bring:

  • Administrative documents
  • Medical documents
  • Means of payment

Failing to present those documents could delay your consultation or hospitalisation. Please also make sure that the address provided is up to date, especially if you have moved recently.

Foreigners without healthcare or Social Security coverage must liaise with the hospital social services in order to meet with someone who will be providing support during the procedure.

Minors have to be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.




The majority of the patients will need to bring the following documents:

  • A photo ID: valid passport, ID card or residence permit
  • Your French ‘Carte Vitale’
  • Your health insurance cards and information (if you have private insurance, please contact them before your hospital stay to understand what costs will be covered)
  • A recent proof of address (issued within the last 3 months): water, gas, electricity bill, tax notices, tax-exemption certificate, home insurance receipt, rent receipt…
  • Your neurosurgery appointment letter


In absence of the necessary documents, the following could be accepted:

  •  Instead of your French ‘Carte Vitale’, you could bring an updated certificate, which you can download on your ‘Ameli’ account or by contacting the social security : “La security sociale”
  • Instead of your health insurance card, you could bring an updated health insurance certificate


Special cases and additional documents

  • To justify minors’ contact details: please bring your family record book – mandatory – an ID for the parent or guardian undersigned. In case of divorce, separation or placement, the documents showing custody of and parental responsibility for the child, please bring the child’s ‘Carte Vitale’ or health insurance card, for children above 16 years old. For the purposes of legal consent and authorization to treat, to undertake surgery or when leaving the hospital, a parent or legal guardian must be present at consultations involving minors.


To determine who will be responsible for the payment of the medical fees and whether costs are reimbursed:

  • If you are currently receiving social assistance: CMU certificate (Couverture médicale universelle complémentaire) or AME (Aide Médicale d’Etat) card if applicable
  • If you are a national of a EU country – European Economic Area – outside France or Switzerland – your European Health Insurance Card or the E112 form. If applicable: your private health insurance certificate and policy showing the validity date and detailing your rights and coverage.
  • If you are a national of any other country – outside EU or Switzerland: you will have to ask the medical office of the concerned department at the hospital for an approximate quote for your hospital stay. You will have to pay its amount before the day of your hospitalisation in order to get a receipt before receiving treatment.

Warning: travel insurances documents do not exempt you from paying treatment costs.


To identify who will have to pay the additional share of the medical care or treatment bill, not covered by the Social Security Sercives:

  • If you are currently receiving social assistance: French CMU certificate (Couverture médicale universelle complémentaire) covering your hospital stay period or AME (Aide Médicale d’Etat) certificate
  • If your hospital stay or consultation is due to an accident at work or occupational disease, please bring the notification of injury or disease
  • If you suffer from a chronic or long-term illness: please bring your certification of 100% insurance coverage. Only hospital stays that are related to your chronic/ long-term condition will be fully covered by La Securité Sociale
  • If you receive a disabled-child education allowance, please bring the certificate
  • If you are pregnant: please bring your maternity notes
  • If you are a War Veteran pensioner: please bring your record book

Those documents have to be valid and up to date.


Please make sure to bring the medical documents that have been requested when making your appointment was made.

It could be for example:

  • A letter from your GP
  • Radiographies, scans, MRIs and other test results
  • Consultation reports (ophthalmology, ENT, cardiology…)
  • Valid prescriptions
  • Child health record
  • Maternity notes
  • Blood group card



To pay your bill before leaving the hospital, you will have to bring means of payment (card preferred, otherwise check or cash if the amount is below 300 Euros).

You will need means of payment to pay for the excess that La Securité Sociale or Private Health Insurance doesn’t cover.



You can ask to be treated privately by hospital surgeons who are entitled to consult privately. They could ask for additional fees, which can be partially covered by La Securité Sociale or your Private Health Insurance, depending on the reimbursement rate of your health care costs. Law strictly regulates private healthcare.

Your decision to be treated privately under the doctor’s private practice should be done in writing, when being admitted to hospital, by yourself or the person accompanying you, provided the surgeon’s acceptance. In case of a surgical procedure under private care, the surgeon will send you a quote detailing the procedure, the amount reimbursed by La Securité Sociale and the surgeon’s private fees.

The fees are determined with tact and moderation, taking into account the Code of Ethics for Physicians.



To assist you through this administrative process or if your health insurance cannot cover your fees, you can contact the department’ social worker as soon as your hospitalisation is scheduled.